I write mostly about what I have learned in pursuit of my curiosity, mostly around software engineering, books and ideas.
I have previously worked at big companies, did freelancing, tried building a startup, and was at startups of all sizes (from 6-person company to Series B+ to acquisition).
- Started as an intern and fresher at Yahoo!
- Totally loved Yahoo!, the coolest company (back then) he can ever work for
- Worked on analysis and statistics of Yahoo! Search, called Yahoo! Buzz Index (a product for advertisers)
- Worked at Adobe in the awesome Flex team
- Wrote a beginner’s programming book on Python
- Open source enthusiast, so released under Creative Commons license
- Popular book: Millions of downloads
- Translations by volunteers to Chinese, Italian, German, Indonesian, and many others (Spanish, Arabic, etc.) in progress
- Used by NASA and 8 universities
- Delivered talks on Python at 7 different conferences and colleges
- Used as a reference book in MIT OpenCourseWare for their “Introduction to Computer Science and Programming” 2011 class
- Wrote another book released in 2008 on the Vim 7 editor for both beginners and advanced users
- Writes a weblog
- Average of 2500+ readers per day
- Was ranked No. 6 in India according to Indiblogger ranking (as of July 23, 2009)
- Was ranked No. 5 in India according to Invesp Ultimate BlogRank listing (as of August 17, 2009)
- Was once listed on BlogStreet.com as one of India’s Top 100 blogs
- Read how his blog got him a job
- Passionate about Running, Trekking, Cycling
- 1 full marathon (42km), 4 half marathons (21km), 1 duathlon (10km running + 10km cycling)
- Delivered a well-received talk on “Why You Should Run” at BarCampBangalore6
- 16 treks
- Started right from college by selling Linux CDs in the days of dial-up internet
- Co-founder of the team that created ion, the iPod Charger, as featured in the Economic Times
- Finished a full-time experiment called IonLab
- Previously a product leader at InfiBeam.com working on projects such as Crossword.in and Build a Bazaar.
To know more about Swaroop professionally, see his LinkedIn profile.
Contact : blog (at) swaroopch.com