Working from home full-time is a different experience than we are used to. You make or break things, there’s no one asking about your progress and there are no deadlines. It’s all up to you.
My productivity has varied a lot during this time and I was wondering how to make more days productive than they are as of now.
So I polled some of my friends who also work out of a home-office on how they they maintain productivity / motivation / focus, and I got some interesting replies:
- Manish Jethani says:
- Make a separate “office room” in your home. You could convert your old study room into your office. You go into this room only for work — fully dressed for work (not in pyjamas!). When you get out of this room, you leave your work behind. In other words, you have a proper office located inside your home.
- Cut out the distractions. Make your family know that this is your office. No visitors, no phone calls (except work-related), etc.
- Follow proper timings. Work fixed hours.
- To stay motivated while working out of your home, I think you basically have to enjoy what you do.
- Self-discipline is the key.
- The concept of an office, as we know it, is relatively new in our history. Throughout the ages humans have worked out of their homes. Think about it. It’s the more natural way of things. Thanks to the internet, working from home is likely to become the norm in the 21st century (also because commuting might become prohibitively expensive).